Wednesday, April 7, 2010

THE WALKING DEAD Gets A Rick




This came across the wire last night but I needed some time to think about it. I'm a huge fan of Walking Dead, have been ever since it came out. Not faking the funk here, I have collected the issues since day one when my then comic book guru Roger from Roger's Time Machine in New York City pointed it out to me. Thus far there has not been one bad issue, the quality of the writing has been more consistent than any other title I can think of. When it was announced that Frank Darabont writer, director superhero (Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Mist) would be..well.....writing and directing I got excited. When Walking Dead writer Robert Kirkman came aboard as producer I was ecstatic all of which was heightened by the show being on AMC, a channel that is home to one of my favorite shows right now Breaking Bad.

Then this news came about that British actor Andrew Lincoln had been hired to play Rick Grimes, the hero ex-cop central character of the comic book and my excitement diminished a little. This guy might be able to pull it off but looking at him he just doesn't look the part at all. He's too pretty and too young for the character that's been leading the small band of survivors through the hell of the undead for the last six years or more. I'm still amped on the show, just not on this guy. Kirkman released this press statement:

"Andrew Lincoln, wow--what an amazing find this guy is. Writing Rick Grimes month after month in the comic series, I had no idea he was an actual living breathing human being and yet here he is. I couldn't be more thrilled with how this show is coming together,"

Of course what's he going to say? "Hey thanks for the chance and the money fuckers but this pretty boy British twat ain't cutting it. Fuck you and your show".

Guess we'll have to wait and see. Thanks to Topless Robot for unknowingly letting my steal the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment