Tuesday, November 17, 2009

EDWARD WOODWARD PASSES AWAY.




The first time I ever saw Edward Woodward I was 15 years old and a friend of mine showed me The Wicker Man. After sufficient time to recover from watching it (if you've seen it you know what I mean) I became obsessed with the movie. A few years later Edward Woodward became The Equalizer and I instantly became hooked on the show. I was a kid getting picked on a lot so a show about a guy who would even the odds appealed to me right away.

During the second season The Equalizer started shooting constantly outside my building on the Upper West Side. I would constantly leave for school and watch huge trucks and people with headphones milling about getting ready to shoot the show. I would always look to see if I could find Mr. Woodward but I never saw him. One day I walked outside and there he was, just standing outside my building like it was no big deal. I walked right up to him and told him what a huge fan I was and how I loved the show and the Wicker Man.

He was so awesome, so kind and just stood there talking to me for ten minutes before he had to go off to shoot. I never saw him outside my building (though they continued to shoot there) but I never forgot that meeting. Sadly this was way before phones in cameras or even digital phones so I didn't get a picture. As the years went on I also became a fan of Breaker Morant and Mr. Woodward's other works.

He'd been kind of quiet over the years and as of yesterday he is no longer with us. He was a great actor and a kind man and I will always remember our talk outside my building.

No comments:

Post a Comment