Wednesday, August 12, 2009

FRANK DARABONT TO MAKE WALKING DEAD SERIES?



So Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile and The Mist helmer Frank Darabont is close to signing a deal with AMC to create an ongoing series based on Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead series. This is one of those few times I can actually pull a Harry Knowles without feeling as cuntish as Harry Knowles by saying I've in the Walking Dead camp since day one. I bought the first issue (which I still have) at Roger's Time Machine in New York City when I lived there and I've been a devout fan ever since. So knowing as much as I know about the series I'm kind of amped on this news.

Darabont has a great way with interpersonal relationships which is key to Walking Dead plus he's no slouch on action or does he sicken easily as we could tell by the fucked up shit happening in The Mist. I'm also amped that this is going to be a series instead of a movie where they try to cram everything into it *cough cough* The Watchmen *cough cough*

My only reservation is that in order to give it the grittiness it deserves (I'm thinking something like the original Assault On Precinct 13 meets Supernatural) AMC will need to let the show go way out on the fringes. I know AMC is cable but it's not totally a buy channel so they may get queasy.

Casting will also be key here and could easily fuck it up. It should be mostly unknowns with maybe a decent sized TV star sitting in the background. I'd love to see Colin Ferguson (Sheriff on Eureka) play the lead role but I'm dreaming there I guess.

I'll keep you guys posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment